Recipes to fill your freezer and feed your family
Cooking a large amount of food and freezing some for use on another day is a common practice, and probably one of the reasons why you have a freezer! Any search for "freezer recipe" on the Internet will result in an almost-infinite amount of menus to choose from.
Here are some interesting recipes that we have found:
Crunchy coconut freeze
- 1/2 cup of butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups of crispy rice cereal
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups of flaked coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together butter, cereal, brown sugar, coconut and pecans. Spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a 9x13 inch dish, place two-thirds of the cereal mixture. Spread softened ice cream over cereal. Top with remaining cereal. Cover tightly and freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- Serve frozen. Add warm chocolate or caramel sauce, if desired.
- Yield: 15 servings
Freezer spaghetti sauce
- 4 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 16 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- In a slow cooker, sauté together the onion, garlic, green pepper, and vegetable oil. Cook until onion is transparent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, sugar, salt, and ground black pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 hours on low heat. Stir frequently.
- When ready to use sauce, stir in can of tomato paste.
- Yield: 32 servings
- 8-9 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/3 cup canning salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Combine cucumbers, onions and canning salt in a large bowl. Cover with water and let soak for 3 hours. Pour liquid off.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar and celery seed. Heat but do not bring to a boil.
- Pour liquid from saucepan over cucumbers, put in freezer containers and freeze.
- Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
- Yield: 4 pints
- 1 cup marinated cocktail onions, cut in half
- 20 ounces canned mushrooms, drained and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 cup stuffed green olives, minced
- 1 cup black olives, minced
- 1 cup dill pickles, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 2-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, mix the cocktail onions, canned mushrooms, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, green olives, black olives, dill pickles, green beans, tuna, ketchup, vinegar and olive oil. While stirring, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Allow to cool completely before transferring to sterile freezer containers, leaving 1 inch of space in the containers. Store in the freezer.
- Thaw in refrigerator before serving
- Yield: 96 servings