This type of freezer may be right for you
From the outside, an upright freezer often looks like a regular refrigerator freezer. That is one of its charms. You can store an upright freezer in your kitchen without worrying about it sticking out like a sore thumb.
Things to consider when buying an upright freezer
An upright freezer has certain advantages over a chest freezer, if it suits your family's needs.
- You can get approximately the same range of sizes, with the largest size currently being 21 cubic feet.
- More style and color options are available to you. Stainless steel, black and white are all offered, making it easier to coordinate your upright freezer with your other kitchen appliances.
- Organizing an upright freezer would be much easier, with all the shelving units and drawers that many of the manufacturers offer. One distinct advantage of an upright as opposed to a chest freezer is the ability to see what's in there at a glance.
- An upright freezer is easier to clean and less cumbersome for those who are shorter in stature.
- One disadvantage to having an upright freezer is that it's not as energy-efficient as a chest freezer. Every time the door opens, cold air is lost and must be replenished.
- Upright freezers can also cost $100-$150 more on average than a chest freezer with the same size.
- If your power should go out for an extended period of time, the upright freezer won't keep your food frozen as long as a chest freezer. Keep a blanket or two handy in case the power does go off, and wrap your freezer up to stop the cold air from escaping.
- If you buy frozen food in smaller quantities more often, an upright may be the best choice for your family. Boxed foods would be easier to organize; however, if you tend to buy larger, bulkier items, you may not be able to store them as easily as you can in a chest freezer.
It's important to take a look at your buying habits before purchasing the best freezer for your family. If you have a small family and don't buy a lot of frozen, pre-packaged food, perhaps a refrigerator with a freezer compartment is all you need.